- 6 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 3 fresh red beets, cooked and peeled
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- 18 ozs Dungeness crabmeat
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 12 green asparagus tips, precooked crisp & tender
- Cut off the Iceberg Babies® stem, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip dry completely. Cut a generous cap from the top, removing about 1/3 of the head, and clear out the center to create a bowl. Chop any remaining lettuce.
- Cook beets and peel, using gloves to protect your hands.
- Puree beets in blender or food processor and add egg yolks; then slowly add olive oil and champagne vinegar simultaneously. Season with garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Set dressing aside and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place some of the chopped lettuce on the bottom of each Iceberg Babies® lettuce bowl, top with 3 ounces of crabmeat and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Drizzle with beet vinaigrette and top with the chopped egg mixed with parsley. Garnish the plate with asparagus tips that have been cut in half lengthwise.
Co-Founder & COO, The Sardine Factory, Monterey, CA
"At The Sardine Factory, our menu highlights the bounty of the Monterey Bay region. Iceberg Babies® provide a dramatic complement to this Dungeness crab delight. It's been a tremendous hit with our guests."