- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 3 lbs goat loin or leg (boneless, trimmed of all fat)
- and cut into 1-1/2" inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsps fresh oregano, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white onion, grated
- 2 small white onions, cut into quarters for skewering
- 8 pita breads
- 3 cucumbers, peeled, sliced in half, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tsp fresh dill, minced, or oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sprigs of mint and red onion ribbons for garnish
- 1/4 white onion, grated
- Place the meat in a resealable bag. Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and grated onion. Pour over the meat, seal the bag and chill at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- For the tzatziki, toss cucumbers with kosher salt and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove outer leaves of Iceberg Babies® and rinse under cold, running water; drain well. Cut large core from each head and discard. Gently remove the center leaves to create a lettuce bowl. Cut the removed leaves into a fine julienne and set aside.
- Assemble eight metal skewers (or wooden skewers soaked in cold water to prevent burning), alternating the marinated meat with onion pieces.
- Drain cucumbers and combine with yogurt, red onion, dill or oregano, garlic and pepper.
- Preheat an outdoor grill. Grill the skewers, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Quickly heat the pita bread on the grill until just warmed through and pliant; cut into wedges.
- Place 1/2 cup of julienned lettuce in the center of each plate, top with the lettuce bowls and fill with cucumber tzatziki.
- Place skewer and warm pita bread wedges along the side.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine."