- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 40 large shrimp, tail on, peeled, and de-veined
- 2 small red peppers, washed, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, coarsely cracked
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Cut off the stem of the Iceberg Babies®, rinse under cold water, and allow to drip dry completely. Cut off the cap of the lettuce. Scoop out the center, creating a bowl. Finely julienne the top and the lettuce removed from the center. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Combine water, wine and bay leaves in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp, reduce heat and simmer/steam covered for 3 to 5 minutes, until shrimp are pink on the outside and just cooked in the center. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
- Add red peppers to the remaining shrimp broth and simmer for one minute. Remove peppers with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Add red peppers, onions, and sliced lemon to the shrimp.
- Combine marinade ingredients and toss with shrimp mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and hang five shrimp from each Iceberg Babies® bowl. Mix the julienne lettuce with the marinade and place the salad inside the lettuce bowl.
- Garnish with parsley flakes and red pepper strips.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine."