- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 3 lbs ground beef (80% lean)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning herbs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 yellow onion, 1/4-inch slices, keep the rings intact
- 8 ozs Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup
- Remove outer leaves of the Iceberg Babies®, if needed, and rinse under cold running water. Allow to air dry completely. Remove several of the outer leaves to form the cup.
- Mix the ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Separate into eight equal burger patties and indent the middle slightly with your thumb, Bobby-Flay style.
- Brush the burgers lightly with olive oil.
- Mix the ranch dressing and BBQ sauce to create a burger dressing and set aside.
- Place the onion slices on a plate and drizzle with the olive oil.
- On a hot BBQ, grill the burgers until charred on the outside and pink on the inside, about four minutes per side.
- At the time you turn the burgers, place the oiled onion slices on the grill along with the burgers.
- Shortly before the burgers reach the preferred doneness, flip them over and cover generously with Gruyere cheese.
- Let the cheese melt and remove the burgers and onions from the BBQ.
- Drizzle each lettuce cup with the dressing mixture and nestle the burger into the cup. Top with a grilled onion slice.
- Serve burgers with traditional toppings of pickles and, if desired, additional mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and ketchup. Best served with oven-baked fries!
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine."