- 8 Garden Hearts® Iceberg Babies®
- 2 cups Korean BBQ Dipping Sauce (recipe follows)
- 3 lbs beef tenderloin or sirloin, chilled
- 2/3 cups light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 2 tbsps white sugar
- 1 tsp finely ground pepper
- 3 tbsps garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsps green scallions, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted and finely ground
- Tumbleweed carrots (grated)
- Make Korean BBQ Dipping Sauce six to eight hours in advance and refrigerate.
- Remove outer leaves and rinse Iceberg Babies® under cold running water and allow to air dry. Cut core from head of lettuce and discard. Separate leaves, keeping them whole, and refrigerate until use.
- Cut beef across the grain into thin slices. Slice again into 2- to 3-inch long strips.
- Assemble marinade by combining soy sauces, sesame oil, sugar and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Add garlic, ginger, scallions and sesame seeds..
- Add beef to marinade and toss until coated. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large, lightly oiled, very hot skillet, saute' beef in small batches.
- Roll beef inside lettuce leaves or serve in a separate bowl and let guests roll their own. Garnish with tumbleweed carrots and serve with dipping sauce.
KOREAN BBQ DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup soy sauce, light
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup green scallions, minced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted and finely ground
- Asian chili paste, to taste
- Combine ingredients and let stand 6-8 hours or overnight before using.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The supple texture and just-right-size of Iceberg Babies® make them a perfect choice in wraps and hand rolls used in the Asian cuisine."