- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, chopped
- 1 cup cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 cup yellow and red heirloom tomatoes, large dice
- 1/2 cup red onions, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt or coarse salt
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the Garden Hearts Jumbos under cold, running water and set aside two dozen of the outer whole leaves for presentation. Then chop the rest of the hearts into 1/2-inch slices. Place in a large mixing bowl and chill.
- Prepare all the other ingredients and the dressing by combining the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together well.
- Add to the chilled bowl of Garden Hearts the green onion, cilantro, jalapenos, cucumbers, yellow and red cherry/pear tomatoes, croutons, red onions, and black beans and toss gently with the dressing. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Line serving platter or bowl with whole leaves and add a generous serving of the chopped salad.
- Garnish with the egg and avocado slices and sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The crisp Garden Hearts make a great mix with any 'chopped' ingredients of your choice. I like the southern twist to this chopped salad recipe -- it gives some zest to it."