- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 2 lbs flank or skirt steak, trimmed of all fat
- 6 tbsps soy sauce
- 4 tbsps sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (MSG), if desired
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 4 Asian pears
- 4 tbsps soy sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 4 tsps toasted sesame seeds
- Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- scallions for garnish (thinly sliced and curled in ice water)
- Rinse the Garden Hearts Petites well under cold running water, air dry completely and chill.
- In a large, resealable plastic bag combine 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons sesame oil and 2 cloves of garlic (reserving the remainder of each), with white sugar, black pepper and MSG (optional).
- Place beef in the bag with marinade and shake well to combine ingredients and coat beef. Seal the bag, pushing all of the air out and refrigerate at least three hours, overnight if possible.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high; place the marinated meat on the grill, discarding the marinade mixture. Sear the meat on high until very rare (very red in the center) and place on a cold surface to stop the cooking process. Let it rest and, when cool, place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Mix 4 cups of cold water with sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Cut the pears into matchsticks (julienne) and immerse in the acidulated water to prevent oxidation.
- Cut the chilled beef into 1/4" by 2" strips. Mix remaining soy sauce, sesame oil and grated garlic in a bowl. Add beef, scallions and 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds (reserving the remainder); combine well.
- Mold the beef into 16 individual patties.
- Cut the Garden Hearts Petites into 1-1/2-inch thick wheels. Remove the loose outer leaves and place the wheels on the serving platter or plates.
- Top each Petite wheel with strained pear julienne and top with beef.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds and garnish with scallion curls.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"Garden Hearts® complement these vibrant Asian flavors, serving as the perfect backdrop for the key ingredients in this innovative dish."