- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 2 lbs crab meat, cooked and cleaned
- 8 crab claws for optional garnish
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 tbsps green onion, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsps yellow curry powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cup Curry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 2 mangos, peeled and cut into fans for garnish
- Cut 1/4" from stems of the Garden Hearts Jumbos. Keeping the leaves intact, rinse well, inside and out, under cold running water. Air dry completely and chill.
- Pick over and clean crab meat, removing any cartilage or shell, reserving 8 claws for garnish, if desired. Place in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over low heat. Add onion and saute' until translucent. Add green onion, ginger and seasonings; stir well and set aside to cool.
- Combine the onion and seasonings with the crab meat and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Add beaten eggs and mix again. Once combined, allow mixture to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Separate the crabmeat mixture into eight equal portions. Form each into a round, 1/2-inch thick cake. Gently dip cakes into bread crumbs and coat them on all sides.
- Heat remaining extra virgin olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Saute' crab cakes until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and place on a separate plate.
- Cut Garden Hearts Jumbos into 3-inch thick wheels, place one wheel at the center of each plate and drizzle with Curry Vinaigrette.
- Place one crab cake on top of each Jumbo wheel and drizzle with more Curry Vinaigrette. Garnish with crab claw and mango fan.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine lemon juice, curry powder, shallot, salt and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in extra virgin olive oil. Add additional mayonnaise or oil to reach desired consistency.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"Chef's Comments: "Garden Hearts® and crab cakes with a touch of curry make a wonderful entrée combination.""