- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 1/2 cup green onion, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, cut into super-fine slices
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, cut into cubes or strips
- 2 ripe avocados, cut in half and fanned
- 8 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- coarsely ground black pepper and kosher salt, to taste
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Heart Jumbos and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Pat gently dry with paper towels.
- Set aside two dozen of the smaller whole leaves for presentation. Cut the rest of the crisp leaves diagonally into quarter-inch strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce strips with green onion, cilantro, jalapenos, and bell peppers. Toss gently
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and toss with romaine mixture. Chill for 45 to 60 minutes. Taste and add additional seasoning, as desired.
- For service: Line serving plates, bowls or platter with whole leaves and top with slaw so that points of the whole leaves extend out for presentation. Garnish with the avocado and sprigs of cilantro.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"The crisp Garden Hearts® are a tasty and tender alternative to cabbage and provide a flavorful base for this zesty slaw. Delicious on its own, it's also a great topping for tacos or for barbecued fish, shrimp, chicken or beef."