- 4 Garden Hearts® Petite Romaine Hearts
- 1 salmon filet (approximately 3 lbs,
- boneless and skinless)
- 8 ozs kosher salt
- 12 ozs sugar
- 1 oz white cracked pepper
- 2 large bunches dill, freshly chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 bunch dill, de-stemmed
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cup safflower oil
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Petites and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Pat gently dry with paper towels, wrap in clean cloth or paper towel, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. For each serving, cut seven romaine leave to the same length (approximately 7 inches long).
- Combine salt, sugar, peppercorns, and dill to make a dry cure. Coat filet with dry cure, pressing the mixture firmly onto the fish, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Cover the pan and refrigerate for approximately 24 hours; when fully cured, the fish will be firm. Remove gravlax from curing brine, brush off excess dill, and slice thinly on a bias, starting at the tail.
- Combine all dressing ingredients, except oil, and emulsify in a blender. Slowly add oil until well incorporated and the right consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble this layered dish, lay three Garden Hearts next to each other on the plate. Add a layer of gravlax and sprinkle with dressing, allowing a small amount to drizzle decoratively onto the plate. Repeat with the next layer, stacking it on top of the first in the opposite direction to create a criss-cross pattern, and again, sprinkle with dressing. Top with a single Garden Hearts leaf and garnish with a sprig of fresh dill and a lemon twist.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"Chef's Comments: "The sweet flavor and crisp texture of Garden Hearts® is perfect for this recipe.""