- 4 Garden Hearts® Jumbo Romaine Hearts
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 12 pieces smoked bacon, cut into half-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut one inch from the base of the Garden Hearts Jumbos and separate into individual leaves. Rinse under cold, running water. Pat gently dry with paper towels, wrap in clean cloth or paper towel. Stack the leaves on top of one another and, with a large knife, cut diagonally into quarter-inch strips.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, ketchup, Worcestershire, and mustard. Set aside.
- Place a wok or large frying pan over high heat; add bacon and fry until crisp. Lift out bacon with a slotted spoon and drain. Discard all but a half cup of the drippings.
- Return pan to high heat, add onion and garlic, and cook until translucent. Add lemon juice mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add lettuce and tomatoes and immediately remove from heat. Stir salad, add bacon, and stir again. Place in serving bowl and season with salt and pepper.
CEC, AAC, Corporate Chef Pebble Beach Resorts; Pebble Beach, CA
"Chef's Comments: "A wok is the ideal pan for making this marvelous twist on a classic Southern favorite!"